The MetaQuizzical Radio Show -- May 2, 2012
Peeling back the layers of the endless onion whether it makes you laugh or makes you cry
INTRODUCING "SHRINK RAP"
Conversations at the Intersection psychology, philosophy & science
· This is a new Metaquizzical Feature Series
· And this program is a survey program of "Coming Attractions"
· Huge Study Finds Brain Networks Connected to Teen Drug Abuse
· Multi-tasking Hurts Performance but Makes You Feel Better
· The Bright Side of Death
· Woman's Interest in Men Peaks at 45 Then Dwindles
· Maintain Your Brain: The Secrets to Aging Success
· Technology Eases Migraine Pain in the Deep Brain
Program Title: Digital Afterlife
Podcast (5:40): Adam Ostrow: After your final status update
Many of us have a social media presence--a virtual personality made up of status updates, tweets and connections, stored in the cloud. New media entrepreneur and commentator,Adam Ostrow asks a big question: What happens to that personality after you've died? Could it ... live on?
Program Title: Don't Fear the Reaper: Perspectives on Death, Dying and Living
Podcast (5:12): Ric Elias: 3 things I learned while my plane crashed
Ric Elias had a front-row seat on Flight 1549, the plane that crash-landed in the Hudson River in New York in January 2009. What went through his mind as the doomed plane went down? At TED, he tells his story publicly for the first time.
Program Title: What's it all about? The Search for Meaning
Podcast (4:22): Viktor Frankl: Why to believe in others
In this rare clip from 1972, legendary psychiatrist and Holocaust-survivor Viktor Frankl delivers a powerful message about the human search for meaning -- and the most important gift we can give others.
Program Title: Two Kinds of People: Exploring differences in perceptions and assumptions
Podcast (2:42): Derek Sivers: Weird or just different?
"There's a flip side to everything," the saying goes, and in two minutes, Derek Sivers, founder and former president of CD Baby, shows this is true in a few ways you might not expect.
Program Title: The NOW of Happiness
Podcast (3:41): Matt Cutts: Try something new for 30 days
Is there something you've always meant to do, wanted to do, but just...haven't? Google software engineer, Matt Cutts suggests that you try it for 30 days. This short, lighthearted talk offers an interesting perspective about setting and achieving goals.
Comedy Piece: "Wake up in Better Times" by Jim Ocean
- MQC Theme Song (3:30)
- "Psychotic Reaction" by The Count Five (3:05)
- "Male Pattern Numbness" by Celtic Elvis (5:14)
- Live Song: "Digital Afterlife" by Jim Ocean
- "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult (3:35)
- The Meaning of I am" by Purple Hazel Green (4:23)
- "Stranger to Himself" by Traffic (3:56)
- "Too Much Information" by the Police (3:42)
- "The Inner Light" by The Beatles (2:36)
- "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night" by the Electric Prunes (2:56)
- "Motherless Child" by Peter Kakaunen (4:14)
- "Mercy Street" by Peter Gabriel (4:43)
- "Stalker" by the Dogmatics (4:37)
Next Week: Sealed with a Kiss--Dating in the Internet Age
Remember . . . Without questions . . . There are no answers